Sunday, November 28, 2010

maybe you're reason why all the doors are closed







Images from poignant@tumblr.

Hi I'm back! I didn't blog yesterday 'cause it was a real mundane day whereby I spent my time on attempting GP homework, playing the piano and wasting my life in front of the TV. I think I watched a grand total of 3.5 hours worth of TV yesterday. Oh dear :(

Today was a much better day as compared to yesterday. At least I managed to drag myself out of bed (after hearing my mom's shriek about how late it was) and got dressed pretty quickly. I think I didn't play very well during service today because my fingers were freezing :/ Hope things get better next week because I'm going to tank the whole long service. But I'm sure things will go out well because God will bless me! And the piano of course.

Went to NEX with the class for our class outing today! Attendance was super fail (which seems to happen whenever we want to go out haha) but it's alright because we still had fun. Experiencing Kenneth's driving skills is really an eye opener, not only because he sounds like my dad when he's driving (with all the random comments and all), but because he's only 2 years older than me and he drives a manual car! :O And hearing about Yiwei and Debra's experiences with driving tests make me feel a little ambivalent about my own driving experience in the future. I'm still hoping to learn how to drive a manual car because it seems more useful (albeit challenging).

Our lesson today was to review the year and plan for next year, which I intend to spend some time doing today along with my Maths and GP homework. Plus my dad's home today so dinner will be a lavish affair (as compared to the rest of the week anyway). I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to finish all I need to do today because there's a high tendency for me to get distracted easily (like that TV outside now).

But anyway, it was really nice to listen and to share about our reflections about the year. And as Debra said, which I summarised, people today are having more and more trouble with reflecting on things. Like when blogs first came out, blog posts were just replicas of GP essay (or at least the length seem to follow that of an essay), but with Tweeter and Facebook today it seems like you can only squeeze in that 300 characters in one message. Any longer and people will have a tendency to skip through it. Plus people used to have handwritten diaries, which can be very useful when you read back and see how much you've grown (or so Debra says because I don't keep a handwritten diary. Imagine how much time I would have left for my homework if I were to write mini essays everyday). And with the whole exposing-yourself-on-the-Internet issue, I guess I would feel a little uncomfortable with sharing my personal thoughts and experiences (which I don't share with simply anyone) online. So I think one of the things I will need to put in place next year is a diary. A diary written in whatever way I like, be it in list form or drawings or random doodles and song lyrics. Because I figured, if I need to record a year of my life, next year will definitely be one of the more memorable ones. Besides the fact that I'm 18 and need to take 'A' levels, I think a lot of things are going to change, in terms of relationships and spiritual growth and how I spend my time. Plus it's nice to see how I have changed as an individual (hopefully more mature in some ways) as compared to maybe just, 2 years ago. As people have put it, teenage years are the years in which you change like a chameleon. Any earlier or later, you will be like a plateau on your personal growth curve.

So putting the serious stuff aside, Debra treated us to Starbucks today! Which is my first Christmas gift of the year (that's what she said) and I derived great satisfaction from it. I had a caramel frappucino, and considering how I don't drink coffee normally, I have a feeling all the caffeine in there just went to my head. Lunch was wanton noodles which is a nice change from the normal food we have. And then it was choir! I think I've never enjoyed singing so much because today we sang a lot of hymmish sounding songs, and it really brings out the voices of various parts (which is really cool, especially if you're part of it). And I think partly because Christmas is coming, which is why all the music sounds so different from what we used to sing (which are a little more towards the pop genre). Either I'm getting old or I'm gaining awareness of my surroundings, because I feel like singing these traditional songs really brings me back to the older times. So if you think only reading can bring you to a different scene, try singing. And by older times I don't mean the tacky undeveloped kind of old. What I felt was more of like historical European times with the cobbled roads and quaint little shops (this is really a test of my very limited vocabulary I must say). Which translates into one word that belongs to the modern generation: cool.

So then my dad sent me back and now I'm stuck in front of the computer reflecting on my day alone, and I realised there's actually a lot you can think about just by one small incident alone. Which brings us to the point that the mind is actually vast and without boundaries. And therefore I would say that there is no boring people in this world, only people who limit their boundaries to what they can think about. Because hey, everybody has their own mind right? Even though the mind by itself is empty, once you gave it an idea, an inspiration, it can generate ideas and explore things that nobody can think about. That is why having an imagination is important (just like that GP question in the holiday package we have). But I am sure you can't use that as a point to prove that society values imagination (the question is 'How much does your society value imagination?' or something like that) right? Sometimes it just seems like personal opinions don't matter much after all.

I am going to join my mom and my sister in watching tv for an hour before going out for dinner. And when I'm back, I will finish just one question of that GP package and do something about my maths package (now that my GC's back!) and THEN reflect on my year/plan for the year ahead.

Now that I'm filled with the power of reflection, let's hope that tomorrow will be a good and productive day at the lab (even if we were to only collect cells and there's nothing much to do after that).

And if you managed to read through all of this, good for you, because I spent approximately 40 minutes typing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment